HERZLIYA HEBREW HIGH SCHOOL
This "gymnasium school" was founded in 1905 in the Jaffa area of Tel
Aviv during a time when the area was in the hands of the Ottoman
Empire. In 1909 it moved to another location on Herzl Street and was
renamed in honor of Zionist leader Theodor Herzl.
In 1962 the school
was razed in order to build the Shalom Meir Tower, an office tower
with a small commercial center. At the time it was completed, the
Shalom Meir Tower was the tallest building in the Middle East. The
school was subsequently relocated. There was much debate about
whether the high school should have been razed, and from this came
an important discussion about the importance of preserving buildings
of historical importance. The Society for Preservation of Israel
Heritage Sites was created with this in mind.
Today the school is
located on Jabotinsky Street in Tel Aviv and serves as a six-year