|Struthof was used as
a forced labor camp for political prisoners from May 1941 until
August 31, 1944. More than 25,000 inmates were made to work
in large quarries there. The commander, Josef Kramer, aka "The
Beast of Belsen," ordered the execution of thousands of
prisoners, including some Jewish prisoners who had been subjected
to inhumane experiments involving infectious diseases.
The camp was liberated by the allies
on November 23, 1944. All that remains of the camp is a cemetery,
some barracks, the front gate to the camp and a few other
buildings. A memorial to those deported to Struthof was erected in
1960 and dedicated by French President de Gaulle.